Friday, January 11, 2008

Making of the False Face

This was a short focus for the New Year. Schyler's Social Studies project. She had a few weeks to complete it and chose to do a false face which are made by Iroquois Indians.

We used a mask like you would see on the Lone Ranger (LOL) and put it around a balloon. This way we could get the form of the eyes and nose. Then we stripped newspaper and made the glue out of flour and water. It took quite a lot of layers.
Once she was happy with the final paper mache' form, she painted it. We actually found a few online and she chose this particular one. It was a false face with the look of surprise.
I did not use my speedlight and I have a serious yellow cast on these.
After a few coats of paint and some eyes added, we hot glued yarn for hair.

Project was due today, bus was coming and I hadn't gotten any photos of the final project. I had no time for the speedlight nor to get good exposure. So yes these are not technically correct but they serve our purpose!She is such a card!

2 comments:

Tomboymama said...

That is really cool. I love how it turned out!

Anonymous said...

She:kon,
I am Iroquois therefore, I feel as if it is my duty to let you know that our Hadoui's ( or false face) is a very sacred medicine to my people and is not to be made by non- natives, sold or to be making paper mache out of. I find it extremely offensive to be seeing something like this, please stop doind so.